Sunday, April 4, 2010

When should I take my baby to see the dentist for the first time?

This recommendation seems to have changed .Most people used to recommend kids see the dentist for the first time at 3 years.

In the last couple of years the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry has changed their recommendation to 6 months after the first tooth appears or no later than their first birthday.

http://www.aapd.org/pediatricinformation/faq.asp

At this age the dentist can examine the child for potential and provide anticipatory guidance about future problems. They are also setting up a lifetime of positive experiences with dental health.

I recommend a pediatric dentist because they are trained in how to interact with a child. Dental visits can be traumatic but they don't need to be. My kids go to a fabulous pediatric dentist who has made it fun from day one... we took pictures of their shiny teeth and they get prizes everytime they go. They actually look forward to it.

If you live near me and are looking for a pediatric dentist I highly recommend ours!
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/directory/showProviderPage.cfm?prov_id=7262





Subscribe in a reader

1 comment: