Friday, February 19, 2010

Next up: twins- how to feed two babies at the same time

The topic of twins is a huge one.

My twins are going to be 6 very soon (where did the time go??) and one thing that I have found is moms of twins need lots of advice. So today I'm going to talk about ways to feed 2 babies at the same time.

There are lots of ways to accomplish this. Mostly you just have to figure out what works for you.

If you are breastfeeding, get help with positioning. There are twin nursing pillows that can be very useful to feed them both at the same time. Make sure you are comfortable doing this by yourself because the day will come when you have to do it with no help.

Breastfeeding them one at a time can be a more intimate experience but of course not always possible when you have one screaming to be fed while you are feeding the other one!

When my twins were very small I put them next to each other in a boppy pillow and held both bottles. This was challenging at times when they turned their heads toward each other but it worked pretty well. Some people have put them in their carseats, bouncy seats or booster chairs. As my twims got older I propped them both up on the side of the couch next to each other and it worked pretty well. I have also heard of people sitting on the floor with their legs apart, leaning one twin against their legs and holding the other twin. I have also heard of some success with hands free bottles but I never tried them.

Good luck with this and feel free to share any other ideas!
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment