Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Advice for new nurses

Since I'm on the advice theme, I thought I would share some advice for new nurses. I remember the first few months as a new nurse. It was an overwhelming time. Here is some advice for those in their first year as a nurse.

1. Organize yourself.

Time management is key for a new nurse. Depending on the setting you are working in you may be expected to take care of multiple patients. Nurses often get pulled away from one thing to do another and it can be very frustrating and feel like you never get anything done. Find an organizational system and stick to it. If you are constantly falling behind, ask for help. Other nurses can help you figure out how to manage your time.

2. Learn as much as you can.

Everything is new at this point. Once you get out of school you will see just how much you didn't learn in school. Ask questions, try to understand what's going on with your patient. Don't think of your patient as a series of tasks. Take the time to understand the physiology of what's wrong with your patient.

3. Listen to your patients.

This goes along with not seeing your patient as a series of tasks. That person in the bed is a real person with real issues and real emotions. Take the time to stop and listen to them. Offer support when you can.

4. Take time for yourself.

It can be overwhelming to be in charge of another person's health. Try not to bring your work home with you. Remember you have a life too.

5. You will make mistakes

Learn from them. Don't beat yourself up. It happens to everyone.

Most of all, try to relax and enjoy your new role. 

8 comments:

  1. Great advice! I think as a new nurse it's SO hard NOT to see everything as a series of tasks. Like you said, a lot of times you're being pulled so many directions & you're just thinking in your head "Oh my gosh this medicine was due at 3:00 & now it's red on my screen, I have to go give it NOW". You get so caught up in what needs to be done that you don't have the time to even consider WHY it needs to be done, or what is even going on with your patient! As a new nurse (4 months) I'm just now getting to the place where I can start even considering what is actually wrong with my patient. I still haven't gotten to the place where I can figure out what's wrong with them, what I'm treating AND remember their names, lol, but I'm getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such in interesting read. Some of the points fit so well universally that people starting out in other professions could take note as well. My favorites are advice#2 and #5. Adopt them and your chances of thriving in any field increase manifold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great post! - This provides good insight. You might also be interested to know more about generating more leads and getting the right intelligence to engage prospects. Techno Data Group implements new lead gen ideas and strategies for generating more leads and targeting the right leads and accounts.Nurse Practitioner Email List

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this great post! -This provides good insight.You might also be interested to know more about generating more leads and getting the right intelligence to engage prospects.pegasimediagroup implements new lead gen ideas and strategies for generating more leads and targeting the right leads and accounts.Nurse Practitioner email list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Help - I am trying to find a MSN-NP program in FL ( mostly if not all online or anywhere if completely online) for 10,000$ or under per year that will allow me to sit for NP. I have a BSN and 13 years nursing experience. I am only finding 3 year (DNP) programs or schools that promise the world but are so expensive. I am tapped out on student loans and have a hospital job ( do not qualify for Fin. aide) any ideas would be greatly appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need some help. I was wondering if anyone would have any advice on how to recruit for my DNP project. It's about intimate partner violence and I am looking for nurse practitioner's experience with victims. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)  

    ReplyDelete