Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Flu shot season is upon is.

Every year I see people in January or February who have sudden onset of high fever, cough and aching. They feel awful and sometimes get pretty sick. Some go onto develop pneumonia and people with asthma are particularly vulnerable. I always ask them the same question... Did you get a flu shot? And the answer is usually no. I was too busy. Or, I don't like shots. Or the flu shot is big pharma's way of getting more health care dollars. There are lots of reasons why people don't get a flu shot.

A few months later they come and see me and they have the flu and want me to make them better. Well.. there isn't much I can do to make them better! Antivirals will decrease the duration of illness in some cases but they aren't going to make you better. The flu can last 7-10 days.

Please do us all a favor. Get a flu shot. Save yourself (and me) a lot of trouble in a few months!!

Location:Flu shot season is upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment