Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fast food for kids- Burger King nutrition

Burger king kids meals

Hamburger and value fries (I assume this is the one that comes in the kids meal?)= 480 calories, 22 grams of fat


Cheeseburger and value fries= 530 calories, 22 grams of fat

4 piece chicken tenders= 180 calories, 11 grams of fat

Apple fries (why do apples need to be in the shape of a french fry for a kid to accept it?)= 70 calories

Kraft Macaroni and cheese= 160 calories 5 grams of fat

Double cheeseburger= 470 calories 23 grams of fat

So you can see that there are relatively reasonable choices for kids to eat at Burger King (for adults is another story..) so if you're going to eat there then teach your kid to eat the chicken or the hamburger and the apples..

Kids don't need to eat Whoppers and double cheeseburgers! Teach your kids at a young age that no one needs that much food and then they won't know any different..

I don't think the solution to obesity is to ban fast food. But these restaurants need to scale back their portions to reasonable amounts. Yes I know it may make some people mad but if people get used to smaller portions eventually people will get the idea. There is no need to consume 1000 calories in one meal!

I offer a challenge to parents of young children.. start the brainwashing process early. Teach them about appropriate portion sizes and healthy choices at a young age.. then they won't know any different. Don't ban the fast food- be smart about it.




Subscribe in a reader

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I hadn't heard of apple fries... I haven't been to Burger King or McDonalds in a very long time, partly because I'm a vegetarian and these places have little to offer me.

    My kids are young enough that I haven't had to deal with them wanting fast food yet, but your posts are a good reminder that I need to think about certain issues ahead of time.

    LW

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes like it or not it's going to happen..

    ReplyDelete