Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How long does it take to become a nurse practitioner?

Here are 2 questions I received recently:


hey laura where did you do your nurse practitioner? Are you an family nurse practitioner? I have been thinking about going back to school for my np but I guess that I am concerned with the job market. I don't want to put in all the time and effort to do it and end up not finding a job when I'm all done.


I am a RN working on my BS. Could you tell me where you went to school for your Master's, and how long after the BS does it take to get your NP. do you have to get a Master's then your NP?

I am a family nurse practitioner. I graduated from the University of Rochester in 2001. I received a BSN (bachelors of science in nursing) also from the University of Rochester in 1996. I then worked as an RN and started graduate school in 1998. I continued to work as an RN and took full advantage of tuition benefits.

I finished the family nurse pracititoner program in 2001. There were no NP jobs at the hospital I was working at so I thanked them for their free masters degree and left to work in internal medicine.

It takes about 3 years to do a masters degree, depending on the specialty and how many classes you take at a time. When you graduate you have a masters of science in nursing and a nurse practitioner certification. There are various specialties of nurse practitioner programs and each have their own clinical hours and coursework is slightly different. A family nurse practitioner is the most general program and the most marketable. I can see patients of all ages and am able to work in any setting. I have worked in internal medicine, family practice and adult and pediatric emergency medicine. Being a FNP definitely makes me more marketable.

As for the job market, that changs a lot. It is possible that when you graduate there won't be any jobs but I wouldn't let that stop you because it is always changing. I was laid off last year and found a new job almost immediately.

I'd be happy to answer more questions about being a NP!







Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment